Annual Giving Societies
Remembering our past, investing in our future
Verde Valley Medical Center values individuals and organizations that invest in the hospital through their gifts. We have established recognition clubs as a special way of saying ”thank you” to donors who contribute at various levels. Donors who make gifts or pledges, recorded between January 1 and December 31 of the current calendar year, will be recognized for the entire following calendar year.
Benefits for becoming a member of these giving societies include:
- Listing on the Foundation Donor Recognition display board
- Foundation newsletter
- Invitation to special Foundation and VVMC events
- Opportunity to participate in the VVMC Expedition Program
Garrison Society: $2,500 and above
Ersel and Jennie Garrison were among the most committed citizen advocates for community healthcare in the Verde Valley during the 1950s and 1960s. Ersel served many years as a member of the Marcus J. Lawrence Board of Directors. The Garrisons gifted 25 acres of property, allowing for the development of an advanced 50-bed inpatient facility, which opened in 1965, under the name Marcus J. Lawrence Memorial Hospital. The gifted property site remains the current location of Verde Valley Medical Center’s Cottonwood Campus.
Lawrence Society: $1,000-2,499
Carrie and Marcus J. Lawrence are names well known to the Verde Valley. Carrie Lawrence donated a substantial sum to community healthcare efforts in 1939 to help fund the opening of an outpatient clinic in memory of her son, Marcus. She later became a major donor to the first inpatient facility. The 24-bed hospital, which opened in 1945, was named for Marcus. In addition, she established an endowment/trust fund to help assist with future maintenance of the facility.
Wilpitz Society: $500-999
Roland Wilpitz is considered by many to have been the first modern day era hospital administrator in the Verde Valley. Mr. Wilpitz accepted the role of administrator in May 1957 and directed the growth of the 24-bed MJL hospital into a new, more advanced 50-bed facility. In 1965, the former Main Street facility was abandoned in favor of building the new facility on 25 acres donated by the Garrison family. Mr. Wilpitz completed 22 years of distinguished service when he retired in 1979.
Leyel Society: $100-499
Martha “Mattie” Leyel was a long-term hospital employee who truly embodied the spirit of a team player. Mattie served in a variety of nursing roles, including that of first director of Nursing when the MJL clinic converted into an inpatient hospital. She later became the assistant administrator. Mattie is remembered fondly for her inflexible devotion and loyalty to the well-being of the organization and the patients it served during her tenure.